The “Valentin” bunker in Bremen-Farge was one of the largest armament projects of National Socialist Germany. From 1943 to 1945, thousands of forced laborers from all over Europe worked on the bunker construction site. For decades, there was a struggle over the post-war use of the submarine yard created by forced labor. Even a demolition of the oversized concrete hall was considered.
In the 1960s, the German Navy finally used parts of the building as a materials depot, and the bunker’s grounds could only be entered with restrictions. After the departure of the German Navy, the Senate of the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen commissioned the State Center for Political Education in 2010 to establish and operate the “Denkort Bunker Valentin” as a place of historical knowledge transfer, a memorial and a place of learning.